For Prospective Students
Reasons for Study in AREC
- Rank of the Department
- The Department has maintained its strength as a top-ranked program for over two decades.
- Award Winning Faculty
- AREC faculty are among the most distinguished in the profession.
- Policy Experience of Faculty
- AREC faculty are renowned for their policy expertise.
- Professional Leadership of Faculty
- AREC faculty are leaders of learned societies in the Department's primary fields.
- Editorial Experience of the Faculty
- AREC faculty have served as editors and on editorial boards of the major scholarly journals in the Department's primary fields.
Students receiving recent graduate degrees from the Department have found employment in choice academic positions and the best international organizations.
|Elina Tselepidakis||Research Agricultural Economist, US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service|
|Romina Ordonez||Inter American Development Bank|
|Mark Miller||Data Scientist, JP Morgan Chase|
|Jaclyn Evans||Senior Economist, Government Accountability Office|
|Davide Cerruti||ETH-CEPE, Zurich, Switzerland|
|Monica Saavoss||Research Agricultural Economist, USDA-ERS|
|Patrick Fleming||Assistant Professor, Franklin & Marshall College|
|Shirley Pon||Quantitative Analyst, NMR group Inc|
|Rubaba Ali||Economist, Fannie Mae|
|Jeffrey Ferris||Economist, EcoNorthwest|
|Kota Minegishi||Assistant Professor, Department of Animal Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis & St. Paul, MN|
|Anand Murugesan||Assistant Professor of Economics, School of Public Policy, Central European University, Budapest|
|Ian Page||Assistant Clinical Professor, First-Year Innovation & Research Experience (The FIRE Center), University of Maryland, College Park, MD|
|Ashwini Sebastien||Research Economist, UN FAO - Agricultural Economics Division, Rome, Italy|
|Michael Taylor||Research Assistant Professor, University of Nevada, Reno, NV|
|Magda Tsaneva||Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Clark University, Worcester, MA|
|Dan Werner||Economist, OnPoint Analytics, Emeryville, CA|
|Casey Wichman||Fellow, Resources for the Future, Washington, D.C.|
|Po Yin Wong||Post-doctoral Assistant Professor, Norwegian School of Economics (NHH), Bergen, Norway|
|Dana C. Andersen||Assistant Professor, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada|
|Sarah Ball||Natural Resource Economist, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Silver Spring, MD|
|Pinar M. Gunes||Instructor, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada|
|Kanishka Kacker||World Bank, Washington DC|
|Eduardo Nakasone||Assistant Professor, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI|
|Sean Sylvia||Assistant Professor, Renmin University, Beijing, China|
|Shinsuke Uchida||Assistant Professor, Shinshu University, Matsumoto, Japan|
|Seth Wechsler||Research Economist, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC|
|Sang Won Yoon||Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, WI|
|Takahiko Kiso||Assistant Professor, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland|
|Kabir Malik||Young Professionals Program, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Trang Tran||Young Professionals Program, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Ariel Ortiz Bobea||Fellow, Resources for the Future (RFF), Washington DC|
|Elisabeth Newcomb Sinha||U.S. Food and Drug Administration, White Oak Campus|
|Claudia Hitaj||Research Economist, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC|
|Dimitrios Reppas||Lecturer, University of Manchester, UK|
|Geret DePiper||Industry Economist, National Marine Fisheries Service, Woods Hole, MA|
|Michele Baggio||Assistant Professor, University of Connecticut, Storrs CT|
|William Gans||Consultant, NERA Economic Consulting, Washington, DC|
|Shinsuke Uchida||Assistant Professor, Shinshu University, Matsumoto, Japan|
|Asif Islam||Consultant, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Fanqing Ye||Economic Modeling Senior, Freddie Mac, Washington DC|
|David Herberich||Director, Pricing & Strategy , Sears Holdings Corporation, Chicago IL|
|Sonia Liu Jarvis||Economist, National Oceanic and Atmonspheric Administration|
|Jia Li||Economist, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Washington DC|
|Michelle Michalek Brock||Research Economist, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, London UK|
|Kathryn Vasilaky||Postdoctoral Fellow, Earth Institute, Columbia University, NY, NY|
|Dennis Guignet||Research Economist, US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Washington DC|
|Stephen Kasperski||Economist, National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle, WA|
|Juan Feng||Consultant, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Jeff Flory||Assistant Professor, Claremont McKenna College, Claremont CA|
|Nataniel Higgins||Economist, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC|
|Niti Bhutani||Assistant Professor, Delhi University, Dehli, India|
|Anmol Ratan||Lecturer, Monash University, Caulfield, Australia|
|Jorge Gabriel Holzer||Assistant Professor, University of Maryland, College Park, MD|
|Sarah Adelman||Assistant Professor, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts|
|Ravissa Suchato||Lecturer, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand|
|Yabei Zhang||Young Professionals Program, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Andrew Stocking||Market Design Economist, Congressional Budget Office, Washington DC|
|Chad Lawley||Assistant Professor, University of Manitoba, Winipeg, Canada|
|Shannon Wilson||Economist, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Lucija Muehlenbachs||Fellow, Resources for the Future (RFF), Washington DC|
|Roger Claassen||Senior Agricultural Economist, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC|
|Mohammed Helal Uddin||Assistant Professor, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Xiangping Liu||Post Doc Research Associate, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC|
|Paramita Sinha||RTI International, Research Triangle, NC|
|Marcella Veronesi||Lecturer, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland|
|Lopamudra Chakraborti||Post Doc, Tulane University|
|Beat Hintermann||Assistant Professor, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland|
|Timothy Fitzgerald||Assistant Professor, Montana State University, Bozeman MT|
|Constant Tra||Assistant Professor, University of Nevada-Las Vegas, NV|
|Heather Klemick||US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Washington DC|
|Nancy Bergeron||Policy Analyst, Natural Resources Canada|
|Ekaterina Krivonos||Economic Commission for Latin America and the Carribbean, Santiago, Chile|
|Hernan Gonzalez||United Nations Development Programme, Santiago, Chile|
|Shaikh Mahfuz Rahman||Assistant Professor, Texas Tech University, Lubbock TX|
|Oscar Melo||Assistant Professor, Ponticia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago Chile|
|Charles Towe||Assistant Professor, University of Maryland, College Park MD|
|Angelo Zago||Associate Professor , University of Verona, Verona, Italy|
|Jonathan Alevy||Assistant Professor, University of Nevada, Reno NV|
|Irina Klytchnikova||Young Professionals Program, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Gregmar Galinato||Assistant Professor, Washignton State University, Pullman WA|
|Valeria Pineiro||Economist, Markets, Trade, and Institutions Division at the International Food Policy Research Institute|
|Soma Bhattacharya||Consultant, World Bank, Washington DC|
|Jyotsna Puri||United Nations, New York|
|Oscar Cristi||Assistant Professor, Universidad del Desarrolla, Santiago, Chile|
The Department strives to offer the highest quality educational experience in agricultural & resource economics.
- A major emphasis is on engaging students in publishable research starting in their first year.
The Department offers annual awards for graduate student performance:
- The Rhona Lantin Award for the best paper written by a first-year graduate student.
- The Bessie H. Duvault Award for the best paper written by a second-year graduate student.
- The Billy V. and Mary Lessley Award for the best dissertation.
- Agricultural & Applied Economics Association Outstanding PhD Dissertation Awards won by students
Casey Wichman 2016
Beat Hinterman Honorable mention 2010
Constant Tra 2008
Ricardo Smith-Ramirez 2006
Dan Gilligan Honorable mention 2005
Timothy Haab 1996
Madhur Gautam Honorable mention 1994
Rodney Smith 1993
Douglas Larson 1989
The Department offers close proximity to an incomparable array of government agencies, international institutions, and non-governmental organizations devoted to environmental issues, agricultural policy, natural resource management, and international development. Opportunities for attending stimulating seminars abound. Many students find useful work experience, access to data, and cutting-edge thesis topics as well as future employment through these organizations.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is located only 9.7 miles away.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is located only 10.6 miles away.
- The U.S. Economic Research Service (ERS) is located only 9.4 miles away.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is located only 1.5 miles away.
- Resources for the Future (RFF) is located only 9.0 miles away.
- The Joint Institute for Food Science and Nutrition (JIFSAN) is located on the University of Maryland campus.
- The Joint Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI) is located adjacent to the University of Maryland campus.
- The National Center for Smart Growth Research and Education is located on the University of Maryland campus.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is located only 9.9 miles away.
- The World Bank is located only 10.0 miles away.
- The Inter-American Development Bank is located only 9.8 miles away.
- The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is located only 9.8 miles away.
- The Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (BARC) with its National Agricultural Library is located only 3.1 miles away.
- The U.S. Capitol, Senate, and House of Representatives, which enacts all federal law, is enacted is located only 9.5 miles away.
- The National Socio-Environmental Sythesis Center (SESYNC) is located only 28 miles away in Annapolis, Md.